These tacos are a great way to finish off the last of a batch of Yellowfin. With big hunks of juicy tuna, redolent of garlic and cilantro and the bold flavors of warm spices like cumin, coriander and oregano, it's a light yet satisfying summer meal. Since you don't need to marinate tuna for very long, this makes for a great weeknight meal. Because Yellowfin tuna is very lean, it's important not to overcook it as it will end up tough and dry. That's why this recipe works best if the skewers are seared on two sides using a very hot cast iron grill pan or skillet rather than using a conventional grill.
- Put the tuna in a bowl along with the olive oil, lime juice, cilantro, chili pepper, garlic, ground coriander, oregano, ground cumin, salt and black pepper. Mix together to combine evenly.
- Skewer the marinated cubes of tuna and heat a cast iron grill pan until very hot. Lightly oil the pan and then place the skewers on the pan.
- Brown on one side and then flip and brown the other side. The skewers should be medium rare when done.
- Serve the skewers with warm tortillas, chopped sweet onions, cilantro and lime wedges.
Category : Entree
Preparation time :
Cooking time :
- 225 grams Yellowfin tuna, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 5 grams cilantro, minced
- 1/2 spicy chili pepper, (to taste) minced
- 4 grams garlic, (about 1 clove) grated
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander seed
- 1/4 teaspoon Mexican oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cumin seed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- black pepper to taste
- 4 corn or flour tortillas
- 1/4 sweet onion, chopped
- lime wedges