With creamy avocado, molten brie and tender tuna wrapped in nori and a shell so crisp, it shatters, these aren't your run-of-the-mill spring rolls. Served with a sweet and sour wasabi balsamic sauce, these elegant one bite canapés taste like a crisp bite of sushi. The nori not only helps keep the wrapper crisp, it also adds a wonderfully sweet briny flavor to the roll. For the sauce, be sure to use a real balsamic vinegar (there are lots of fakes) aged for at least 25 years as this is what gives the sauce it's sweetness and viscosity.
- First, make a "glue" to hold your spring roll together by mixing 1 tablespoon of all-purpose flour with 1 tablespoon of water.
- Slice your spring roll wrappers so that they are 6-inch x 6-inch square. Always keep the wrappers covered in a damp paper towel to keep them from drying out.
- Use scissors to cut your nori into 3.5-inch x 4.75-inch sheets (you should have 8 sheets).
- To make the sauce, combine the soy sauce, Aceto Balsamico and wasabi and whisk to combine.
- Add 1-inch of vegetable oil to a heavy bottomed pot and preheat to 340 degrees F.
- Place a wrapper on a clean surface, with a corner facing you.
- Place a piece of nori on the wrapper with the short edge facing you.
- Place a piece of tuna and then a piece of avocado on the edge of the nori closest to you and then top with a piece of cheese.
- Start rolling the roll until you reach the middle. Tuck each side in towards the filling (as if you're wrapping a present).
- Fold the flaps over the top of the roll.
- Apply the "glue" in a thin even layer across the top of the wrapper and then continue rolling until the roll is sealed shut.
- Prepare a paper towel lined rack.
- When the oil is heated, add the spring rolls and fry for 4-5 minutes or until golden brown, turning the rolls once or twice to ensure even browning.
- Transfer the fried spring rolls to the prepared rack. Slice the rolls in half at an angle and serve while hot with the wasabi balsamic dipping sauce.
- 1 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoons water
- 8 spring roll wrappers
- 3 sheets nori
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon Aceto Balsamico Tradizionale di Modena (aged 25 years +)
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh wasabi, grated
- vegetable oil (for frying)
- 120 grams yellowfin tuna, cut into 3.5-inch x 1/2-inch sticks
- 1 avocado, cut into 3.5-inch x 1/2-inch sticks
- 80 grams Brie cheese, cut into 2.5-inch x 1/2-inch sticks