This hamachi is marinated in sweet citrus before being grilled until crisp around the edges, and melt-in-your-mouth moist in the center. Served over a bed of baby fennel and carrots braised in orange juice it makes for a enchanting fish course, or a refreshing main. The key to the sauce is an onion caramel that's made by boiling down onion juice until it forms a golden syrup. This adds a sweetness and depth of flavor to the sauce that's utterly sublime.
- To make the marinade for the hamachi, combine 1/4 cup orange juice, 1 tablespoon grated onion, the orange zest, 1/2 teaspoon salt and black pepper in a bowl. Add the hamachi to the marinade and flip several times to coat evenly. Cover and refrigerate for at least 12 hours, but no more than 24 hours.
- When you're ready to grill the hamachi, remove it from the marinade, and use paper towels to dry off the surface. Drizzle with the olive oil and flip the fillets several times to ensure they are evenly coated.
- To make the fennel and carrots, melt the butter in a frying pan over medium heat.
- Fry the fennel and carrots until browned on one side and then flip and fry the other side until browned. Transfer the vegetables to a plate and add the onion juice.
- Turn up the the heat to high and boil until it turns a dark brown and is thick and syrupy.
- Add the orange juice, and salt and return the vegetables to the pan. Cook until the vegetables are tender and the sauce has reduced to thick syrup. Finish by adding the Grand Marnier.
- Grill the hamachi until it's cooked through. I like to cook it to an internal temperature of 120 degrees F.
- Plate the fennel and carrots along with some of the sauce. Top with a piece of grilled hamachi and garnish with some fennel pollen and a sprig of fennel leaves.
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon grated onion
- zest from 1/2 orange
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 340 grams hamachi, cut into 4 fillets
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 8baby fennel (about 85 grams)
- 8 baby carrots (about 70 grams)
- 1 large onion to make 1/2 cup juice
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon Grand Marnier
- fennel pollen