This simple crudo requires very few ingredients and takes little time to prepare and yet it provides a gorgeous presentation that will wow your guests. Served with a fresh herbal green shiso pistou and a tangy and piquant emulsion that's redolent of yuzu, the flavors are as vibrant as the colors on the plate. By plating the emulsion on the side, your diner's can adjust the proportions of each sauce to suit their mood with every bite.
- To make the pistou, prepare a bowl of ice water. Put the green shiso in a bowl and cover with boiling water. Drain dump the shiso in the ice water. Drain and shake off any excess water but do not squeeze.
- Add the shiso to a ramekin along with the olive oil, garlic and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Use an immersion blender to puree the pistou.
- For the yuzu emulsion, melt the butter in a ramekin in the microwave. While the butter is hot (but not boiling hot), add the yolk and emulsify with an immersion blender.
- Carefully add the boiling water with the immersion blender running and blend until thick and creamy. Finish with the yuzu juice, yuzu kosho and salt. Your emulsion will likely have some bubbles which you can remove by laying down a towel folded over a few times and then thumping the bottom of the ramekin on the towels until the bubbles surface and pop. If you have a chamber vacuum, you can also draw a vacuum with the ramekin in the chamber to remove any bubbles.
- To plate, spoon some of the yuzu emulsion onto each plate and spread into an oblong shape with either the back of your spoon or a brush.
- Slice the hamachi into thin slices using a sharp knife and arrange near the yuzu emulsion.
- Drizzle the green shiso pistou on top of the hamachi and sprinkle with some large flake sea salt.
Category : Appetizer
Preparation time :
Cooking time :
- 15 g green shiso
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 grams garlic
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 jumbo egg yolk
- 2 tablespoons boiling water
- 1 tablespoons yuzu juice
- 1/2 teaspoon yuzu kosho (yuzu chili paste)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 340 grams hamachi